The Court of Appeal sitting in Calabar has set aside the Judgement of the House of Assembly and National Assembly Election Tribunal which stated that Jarigbe’s certificate of Return was presented in error.
In its Ruling, the lead judge ruled that;
1- The certificate of Return presented to Stephen Adi Odey is hereby set aside.
2- INEC is hereby ordered to issue a Certificate of Return to Rt.Hon Jarigbe Agom Jarigbe following the wrongful withdrawal of his CoR by the Tribunal.
The Appeal court stated that the decision of the Tribunal was a mere mockery of the Judiciary.
Reacting to the Judgment, the Authentic Senator Representing Cross River North Senatorial District, Jarigbe Agom through his verified Facebook Account said, “A huge lesson: Never ever kill for Power. I knew the blood of the murdered was going to haunt the Perpetrators.
He further urged everyone involved in the murder to turn to God for forgiveness, “Let’s turn to God for forgiveness. Congratulations to the Unconquerable ones.”
The judgement of the Appeal court has now put to rest the almost 10 months of Legal tussle as regards the Cross River North Senatorial by-election.
Appeal Court Judgment delivered today in favour of Sen. Jarigbe Agom
The court ordered as follows as delivered by the presiding Justice Chioma Nwosu-Iheme(PhD);
1. That the 4th Respondent Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), is hereby ordered to issue a Certificate of Return wrongly withdrawn from the 2nd Respondent Jarigbe Agom Jarigbe immediately.
2. That the Certificate of Return issued to the 1st Respondent Stephen Adi Odey illegally, stands withdrawn.
3. That in the premise, there’s no merit in Appeal No CA/C/NAEA/SEN/167/2021 all the issues having been received against the appellants.
4. That, Appeal No No CA/C/NAEA/SEN/167/2021 is accordingly dismissed.
5. That the judgement of the lower tribunal in petition number EPT/CR/SEN/03/2020 delivered on the 18th Day of June 2021, is hereby set aside.
6. That even though the three appeals are considered, Appeal Number No CA/C/NAEA/SEN/168/2021 is hereby dismissed also.
7. That Appeal Number No CA/C/NAEA/SEN/169/2021 is hereby allowed.
8. That i make no order as to cost.
This ends the Cross River North Senatorial by-election litigation.